Friday, September 28, 2012

Amniocentesis - Week 18


In my case, the most complicated part of the amniocentesis was not the actual procedure or the recovery, it was trying to get an appointment.

Booking
1. I called the hospital the Monday after the CHEO meeting. I was told my paperwork had not arrived yet. I had to wait a couple days.
2. After getting the doctor to fax my blood type, I called to make sure they had received it because I was getting dangerously close to 19 weeks and really, you don't want to keep delaying getting this test.
3. You still can't book at this point unfortunately because now all your paperwork and blood type has to go through "protocol"...whatever that means.
4. EVENTUALLY you get to speak to someone and book your appointment. In my case, I was offered yesterday (Thursday Sept 27) at the Civic or the following Monday at the General. I took the earliest one. They give you the room details and tell you to have a full bladder and your health card.

At the Hospital 

After struggling to find a parking spot at the Civic, we still managed to get to our destination on time.
The lady at the receiving desk asked us a few questions and directed us to a waiting room that had a lot of pink and brass. The wait was actually pretty long, or maybe it just felt that way because of my full bladder.

The Civic hospital isn't very nice and every room feels like it needs some sort of makeover and reorganization. The room we were brought in was no exception. Medical equipment on the radiator, crooked shelves, lots of pastels...didn't exactly scream out "we are a modern health establishment!" . The staff was very nice though.

I had to change into a gown. I didn't expect that.  I realized when I was in the dinky bathroom changing I didn't really know how to put one on...haha. I figured it out but I still don't get how the heck someone is supposed to tie the back up by themselves. Anyhow, I walked out with my warm socks and robe and laid flat on the table feeling a little vulnerable.

They started with a thorough ultrasound, which was another surprise. I thought all they would check was where the baby was and find the best spot to extract the fluid but instead they did a lot of measurements and checked for markers. Casper was not photogenic this time. I had no clue what we were looking at on the screen. We did see arms and legs and his heart as well as his little spinal cord which was good. His heart rate was 136 before the amnio.

Once the technician is done she preps the tools for the procedure and calls the doctor in. I was very lucky he was available because apparently that can sometimes take a while and at that point, my bladder was getting really impatient. He comes in, friendly and relaxed which is fantastic. After routine questions and me signing a document stating I understand the risks, he gets to it.

My belly is painted with iodine and cloth sheets are placed around the area where he will puncture to avoid infections. The ultrasound is covered in a latex glove (clever) and he pokes at where he intends to place the needle with his finger. You can see where it is on the screen because you see an indent. All is clear, it's far away from Casper. Then he reaches out and dammit, I get a glimpse of the needle....which OK...isn't THAT scary because it's super thin but it's long. Quite long. At this point I shield my eyes because when I don't curiosity gets the best of me and I take peeks.

Oh, side note, I thought it was kind of funny because while I was lying there blocking my eyes with my arm so that I couldn't see the needle, I realized from the ultrasound Casper was also turned towards my back, away from the needle. Aw...I can't help but feel I had something to do with that. "look away little one, look away!"

The rest of this description is a mix of what I felt and what Francis saw. It doesn't hurt that much when the needle goes in but it is a weird feeling. You feel it move through layers until at some point there are no nerves so you only feel the needle in your skin/abs. It's an annoying burn mostly. I tried to stay still and concentrate on my breathing which worked well. It feels like the needle is in for a while but it was probably just a couple minutes. Then apparently he connects it to this tube and container and sucks out a LOT of amniotic fluid. I'm happy I didn't see that part. You don't feel it but Francis told me later he was slightly freaked out by the amount in the tube. The doctor then tells you to take a deep breath and he takes out the needle in one swift movement.

Then it feels weird. It's like there's still something there plus a heavy object on your belly. I told the technician. She said it was a common sensation. I got a glimpse of the liquid, which was pretty fascinating. It basically looks like very pale urine, which reminded me that yippee, I could finally pee again.

Before I can do so though, the technician does another quick ultrasound to make sure everything is ok. Casper's heartbeat was holding steady at 136bpm.

She explained the sample would be sent to CHEO at noon and told me I could go change but if I felt dizzy I could like back down. I felt fine so we just left.

Recovery

I had no period-like cramping, spotting or slow leak of fluid going on. The only thing that is slowing me down is the sting in my abs when I accidentally use them a bit too much, and the fear of sneezing. Lying down on the side where the needle went in is uncomfortable but really, the pain is very minor. I would say it is much like the aftermath of a blood sample sting.

I was told to rest for a couple days so that's what I'm doing.... reluctantly.

Mom and Dad have been great and spent a big part of the day with me because Francis had a golf tournament to attend. Mom spoiled me as usual, bringing heaps of food and sweeping floors while I was napping.  Dad sanded down some extra shelving for my pantry. Aw..parents.

Would I recommend amnio to others?

Yes. The test has a very bad reputation that, in my opinion, is not warranted.
I understand the IPS results are not exact but that is exactly why they follow it up by offering the amnio diganostic test. If fear is the issue, hopefully this post has made you feel a bit better about the test.
If your indecision is based on morals, then just do what feels right for you.

What now?

We wait, likely until mid next week, for the results.  Based on the results, we may have a decision to make. We are not worrying too much about that now and focusing on remaining positive. We are excited to find out if it's a boy or girl.

In other news...



My doctor didn't seem to concerned about my weight gain . She said my belly is growing well and the baby's heart is fine so not to worry.

So far my stats are (no laughing allowed):
Pre-preg: 127 pounds
End of first Trimester: 128 pounds
19 weeks: 130 pounds.

I already cleared out all my summer clothing from my closet and replace it with clothing a size bigger and that I didn't mind stretching out a bit.

Baby Stuff 


We bought a brand new BOB Revolution stroller on kijiji.  It came with the car seat adapter, a snack tray and a handlebar console. Yippee! I can't wait to take the little one for walks in the country.


I'll update as soon as we get results.


No comments:

Post a Comment